Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Challenging Course Instructor

I have always tried to maintain a positive attitude towards every class I am involved in. This is the best way for me to achieve success instead of dwelling on difficult concepts and instructors who are not clear in their communication. There will always be classes that are less than desirable. One I recall, in particular, was a math course I took years ago at Allen County Community College. Let me begin by stating that math and I have never been friends. It was the start of the semester and I was not understanding the material entirely.  The teacher seemed unavailable to the students so I got no help with that avenue. I was sitting in class waiting for the results of the first test to be handed back. When I received my grade, I hung my head and looked at the test trying to comprehend my mistakes. The instructor began discussing the problems and the solutions. I listened while still looking down at the test. He thought I was not paying attention. His perception caused him to scold me in front of all the class with these words, "Heather, if you would pay attention more in class perhaps you would not have received the grade you did." I was very upset and told him that I didn't belong in a class with a rude instructor. I walked out, dropped the class, and filed a complaint. It was a bad experience. I took the class again the next semester with a different instructor and received an A. I knew I had done the right thing by dropping the first course.

No comments:

Post a Comment