Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thoughts about "On Keeping a Notebook" by Joan Didion

"On Keeping a Notebook" by Joan Didion was insightful, though somewhat slow and unorganized. The essay indeed reflects the manner in which thoughts flow and, therefore, adds validity to the structure. As the literature states, the notion of keeping a notebook holds different meanings. Didion writes, "So the point of my keeping a notebook has never been, nor is it now, to have an accurate factual record of what I have been doing or thinking" (page 77). Also, Didion reflects on moments in her life and makes this observation, "It is a good idea, then, to keep in touch, and I suppose that keeping in touch is what notebooks are all about" (page 81). She used her notebook to record things she saw around her that she felt held importance. I believe less people today keep a tangible journal. Notebooks have been replaced by social computer networks such as Facebook and Twitter. I do not keep a notebook, but I do however have a Facebook account that I utilize to stay connected to others and to post about important observations in my life. Just like a notebook, my Facebook postings have special meaning to me, but not necessarily to all the readers. Other users post things that they deem relevant. The words of Didion sum up the desire behind keeping a notebook, "But our notebooks give us away, for however dutifully we record what we see around us, the common denominator of all we see is always, transparently, shamelessly, the implacable "I," (page 79).

No comments:

Post a Comment