Monday, February 28, 2011

Persuasive Point

Recently, I talked with a friend named Katie about the importance of wearing a seatbelt as we were driving around town. She did not accept the advice at the time and appeared to not be listening. I told her about a childhood friend I had who died as a result of not wearing a seatbelt. He asked a buddy to drive him home one night. The buddy had a brand new car and was speeding down the road when a deer jumped in front of the car. The driver swerved to miss the animal and hit a tree. My friend was not wearing his seatbelt and was ejected through the windshield. He passed at the scene of the accident at the age of fifteen. I also pointed out to Katie the importance of setting an example for her children.
Last week, Katie was driving her kids to school. She hit a pothole and the driver door swung wide open. I was so happy to hear that she had taken my advice that day and put on the seatbelt. She said she did it that morning because she remembered our conversation. Katie could have suffered serious injuries. I couldn't help but think someone bigger than me had a part in this. She said she will wear a seatbelt every time she drives now.

No comments:

Post a Comment